These bars were nothing short of amazing. So amazing I had this entire post written out 5 minutes ago before WordPress erased it all, and here I am typing everything back out. It would be a shame to keep this recipe to myself..
Clearly too amazing to wait for them to cool before cutting –>
I have an entire board on Pinterest dedicated to the summer delight, with so many recipes you could plan days worth of menus with nothing but s’mores..
But seriously, let’s get back to these bars..
Cook time: 30 minutes
Yield: 16 bars
Calories per serving: 200
- 1/4 cup butter or Earth Balance
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup jaggery (coconut sugar)
- 1/4 cup evaporated cane sugar
- 1 flax egg
- 2-3 t vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup spelt flour
- 1/2 cup buckwheat flour (ground from raw groats)
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1 t baking powder
- 1/4 t salt
- 2 chocolate bars
- 1 1/2 cups (7 oz.) marshmallow fluff
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line an 8-inch square baking pan with parchment. Cream together butter and sugar until light. Beat in flax egg and vanilla. In a small bowl, whisk together flours, graham cracker crumbs, baking powder and salt. Add to butter mixture and mix at a low speed until combined. Divide dough in half and press half of dough into an even layer on the bottom of the prepared pan. Place chocolate bars over dough. Spread with marshmallow creme or fluff. Place remaining dough in a single layer on top of the fluff (most easily achieved by flattening the dough into small shingles and laying them together). Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until lightly browned. Cool completely before cutting into bar