small-batch triple chocolate chunk bakeshop muffins
Yield: 5 muffins
- 4 tbsp (1/2 stick) unsalted butter* (melted & cooled)
- 2 tbsp buttermilk*
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 medium egg*
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp white whole wheat flour
- 1 tbsp + 2 tsp cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup sugar*
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips
*I used less butter (2 tbsp) & 1 tbsp coconut oil, almond milk instead of buttermilk, a flax egg and evaporated cane juice instead of sugar. I also added white chocolate chips and a square of German baking chocolate.
- preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- combine the melted butter, buttermilk, vanilla & egg, set aside.
- sift flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder & salt into another bowl, then add chocolate chips.
- add wet ingredients all at once and stir just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- fill greased muffin cups 3/4 of the way full, sprinkle with sugar and bake 15-18 min or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.